As a homeowner, there’s no landlord or engineer to ask for help. So Realtor.com recommends you learn to handle these five basic problems:
1. Change HVAC filters: Replace quarterly to keep your system running smoothly and cut energy bills.
2. Cutting the water supply: Find and tag the shut-off valve when you first move in. When you need to turn it off, turn the handle 90 degrees.
3. Unclogging drains: Chemical drainers may work, but a drain snake is also an excellent option.
4. Resetting a circuit breaker: Open the panel cover and find the breaker in the “off” position, then turn to “on.”
5. Clean gutters: When gutters aren’t cleared of debris, water can get trapped, seep into your house and cost thousands in damages. Clean them annually or every two years.